Literary Moment

We are a book club focusing on both traditional and modern classics. We meet the fourth Wednesday of every month at 7:00pm at Mocha Moment. We try to read one book a month, but long ones are often split between two months. Each month we will post the upcoming book both at Mocha Moment and at this blog. Please come join us to for a lively discussion of all those books you've been meaning to read but just haven't gotten to yet.

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Holy Moly! It's been 3 months

Yes, we've been meeting. Yes, we have been discussing books. No, I haven't been posting to our blog. I keep meaning to do so. "Oh, crap! I haven't talked about Point Counter Point. Or Mermaid Chair. Or Unbearable Lightness of Being. Boy, I suck," has gone through my head at least once or twice a week. But never fear, we have been meeting. As for what we have read, here is a quick run down:

Point Counter Point by Aldous Huxley - There's a reason why he's considered a great author. He is one. The book is an interwoven tale of several groups of people shedding light on society ranks, money, morality, and marriage. It can be a little confusing at first, especially when you don't really have a handle on who is who, but I really enjoyed it. It's long, and he uses words that I've never even seen let alone use on a consistent basis. Nonetheless, highly recommended.

The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd - Truthfully, I really disliked this book so my summary is biased. It was essentially a romance novel with cleverly named characters and everything. The widow-monk named Whit; psychologist husband, both ruggedly handsome, of course; sex scenes on a hidden riverbank, the whole she-bang. After The Secret Life of Bees, we had high hopes. We were let down.

The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera - Well, I didn't like it, and the others hadn't finished reading it so I am withholding judgment until more people can give a full opinion of it. It is full of "Hey, this is a novel! Remember, these characters aren't real" moments. The character themselves were interesting, but I felt the author kept getting in the way of the story and the point of the book by trying to make sure we understood the story and the point of the book. Hopefully, others will let me know their thoughts so I can give a better overall view of this book.

Next up: Dew Breaker by Edwidge Danticat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home